Youth Volunteer Corps 2021
The Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is an elite group of high school students that are hand selected to lead and mentor 1st - 8th grade students in enrichment activities in our UCC Summer Recreation Program. The UCC Summer Recreational Program offers summer activities including sports, art, games, as well as field trips to the museum, lakefront, local parks and swimming pools!
This year's YVC programming is a bit different from years past. We are offering TWO formats of YVC this year!
As a YVC member, you will serve as a volunteer representing United Community Center beginning June 14 through July 15.
The Traditional YVC 5 Week Program is designed for those interested in volunteering in the traditional Summer Recreation Program. Students will be expected to participate for the entire program. These spots are limited and therefore will only be given to those who:
- Are able to complete ALL 5 weeks of YVC- Monday-Thursday 12-4 p.m.
- Hand in application materials on time (Friday, April 30, 2021)
- Provide a high-quality application
- Attend required training sessions
- Have parents/ guardian attend a mandatory meeting
The Community Engagement Project is a weekly commitment of Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.. Once the YVC application is completed, students will receive a follow-up email that will allow individuals to register for a weekly project, depending on interest and availability. Some volunteer opportunities may be available in-house at UCC or off-site at other locations.
*There is no limit to how many service weeks a student can complete!
In addition to Summer recreational responsibilities, YVC members are given workshops in the following areas:
- Career & College Readiness (resume building, ACT Prep, writing college essays, college tours, etc...)
- Character and Leadership Development (soft skill communication, team building, etc...)
- Financial Literacy (budgeting, personal banking, college financing resources, etc...)
In appreciation for, and recognition of the significant contributions of YVC members to the UCC Family, the Pre-College Department will provide free transportation and discounted tickets to a fun-filled day at Six Flags!
- Job Experience - A great way to get work experience for you to land your first job
- Scholarship - Earn 100 volunteer hours to enhance future scholarship and college applications
- Leadership and Character Development - Gain leadership skills through our workshops
- Networking - YVC is a great opportunity to make new friends and find a college mentor
- Fun - Enjoy the summer through our included field trips and activities
- Bruce Guadalupe & Acosta Middle School Alumni entering grades 9-12
- Non-Alumni entering grades 11-12
- YVC Application deadline is April 30th @ 5:00 p.m.
- Parent/guardian must attend a Parent Meeting on one of the following dates:
- Wednesday, May 26th (12:00pm-1:00pm )
- Thursday, May 27th (5:00pm-6:00pm)
- Attend YVC Training on Wednesday, June 9 from 12-2 p.m. & 5-7 p.m.
Apply online or turn in application to the Teen Center by Friday, April 30 at 5p.m. Paper applications are available at The Spot.
For more information or questions and to submit the application, please contact us at email@example.com
Click HERE to apply online!
Click HERE for frequently asked questions regarding the application process.