Youth Volunteer Corps 2020
The Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is an elite group of high school students that are hand selected to lead and mentor 1st - 8th grade students in enrichment activities in our UCC Summer Recreation Program. The UCC Summer Recreational Program offers summer activities including sports, art, games, as well as field trips to the museum, lakefront, local parks and swimming pools.
As a YVC member, you will serve as a volunteer representing United Community Center beginning June 15 through July 16, Monday - Thursday, between 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Optional college related activities take place on Fridays.
In addition to Summer recreational responsibilities, YVC members are given workshops in the following areas:
- Career & College Readiness (resume building, ACT Prep, writing college essays, college tours, etc...)
- Character and Leadership Development (soft skill communication, team building, etc...)
- Financial Literacy (budgeting, personal banking, college financing resources, etc...)
In appreciation for, and recognition of the significant contributions of YVC members to the UCC Family, the Pre-College Department will provide free transportation and discounted tickets to a fun-filled day at Six Flags!
- Job Experience - A great way to get work experience for you to land your first job
- Scholarship - Earn 100 volunteer hours to enhance future scholarship and college applications
- Leadership and Character Development - Gain leadership skills through our workshops
- Networking - YVC is a great opportunity to make new friends and find a college mentor
- Fun - Enjoy the summer through our included field trips and activities
- Bruce Guadalupe & Acosta Middle School Alumni entering grades 9-12
- Non-Alumni entering grades 11-12
- YVC Application deadline is MAY 8th @ 5:00 p.m.
- Parent/guardian must attend a Parent Meeting on one of the following dates:
- Wednesday, May 27th (12pm-1pm, 5pm-6pm, or 6pm-7pm)
- Thursday, May 28th (12pm-1pm, 5pm-6pm, or 6pm-7pm)
- Friday, May 29th (12pm-1pm, 5pm-6pm, or 6pm-7pm)
- Attend YVC Training on Thursday, June 11 from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- NON-ALUMNI have the following additional requirements:
- Interview (5/4 - 5/16, Monday - Thursday 4:30-6:30 p.m.)
- Have a teacher, coach, advisor or counselor complete this form:
- ** Please note** Your application is not complete until we have received your application and the recommendation form.
Apply online or turn in application to the Teen Center by Friday, May 1 at 5p.m.
For more information or questions and to submit the application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click HERE to apply online!
Click HERE to print your application.
Click HERE for frequently asked questions regarding the application process.